I began with the frame rings. I cut out 5 rings, plus some partial rings that would be used later. I used a high grade 1/2" ply for the main rings, and 1/4" for the smaller ring that the dataport rests upon. John Sherrell's aluminum skins were used as templates for cutting the rings. Once each was cut, I used a router with a circle attatchment to cut the rings down to the exact diameter needed. This made an absolutely perfect circle that was the proper diameter.
I made a jig to hold the rings in place, and an adjustable dado blade to cut out the 1/2" notches for the 1" wood ribs. I also made another jig to cut the ribs in the exact same way.
The completed rings and slats...ready for assembly.